The 2 days Mount Meru hike climb is one of three and four-day itineraries available in the center of Arusha National Park, some 80 kilometers west of Mount Kilimanjaro. Mount Meru is a huge volcano that rises to an elevation of 4,566 meters (14,980 feet). It is Tanzania’s second-highest peak and Africa’s fourth-tallest. And it’s only 32 kilometers (20 miles) from Arusha to Momella Gate, where the walk begins.
Because of its altitude acclimatization and hiking lengths, climbing Mount Meru is ideal for acclimatization before climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. This hike is also suitable for those who want fewer crowds and a less difficult ascent.
What Hikers Are Likely to See on a 2-Day Mount Meru Trekking Climb
Hikers must ascend the mountain with an armed ranger because of the large variety of animals that call it home. Hikers are more likely to observe elephants, giraffes, buffaloes, and warthogs on the lower slopes of the mountain. Blue monkeys, black and white Colobus monkeys, and occasionally shy antelopes like bushbucks, suni, and red duikers are also present. Additionally, there are several vibrant birds, such as Hartlaub’s Turacos, Trogons, Silvery-cheeked Hornbills, etc.
The trail follows a stunning ridgeline around the north rim of the volcano as hikers continue their ascents. As the sun rises, hikers arrive at the summit. Additionally, tourists will get stunning views of Mount Meru Crater and Mount Kilimanjaro. Hikers rest at the huts along the trail of the National Park while ascending.
Route Summary Details:
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Trekking Duration: 2 days, 1 night
- Type of Accommodation: cozy mountain cabins on wood-bunk beds with mattresses made of thick foam and wrapped in sheets. Keep in mind that a sleeping bag is required! Please bring one, or ask us to make one for you at a reasonable price.
- The huts have solar system lights.
- The meals will be in the dining halls.
- Bathrooms with cold showers
- Clean flush toilets
THE ITINERARY FOR A 2-DAY MOUNT MERU TREKKING CLIMB
Day 1: Momella Gate (1,500 m)–Miriakamba Hut (2,500m)
A fully armed ranger will accompany us on our walk after a brief registration process at the Momella Gate. We anticipate seeing exotic animals, including zebras, giraffes, monkeys, antelopes, and frequently elephants, while on this trek. At Miriakamba Hut, where you will also spend the night.
- Elevation: 1,500 m/4,921 ft. to 2,500 m/8,202 ft. (1,000m ascent)
- Hiking distance: 10 km
- Hiking time: 4–5 hours
- Habitat: Mountain Forest
- Meals: lunch, dinner
- Budget Lodging; Miriakamba Hut
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut (2,500m) to Momella Gate (1,500 m)
You will start your final descent to Momella Gate after breakfast. The southern route will be taken in order to descend. On our way down, we’ll go through a montane forest and pass by a lovely Fig Tree Arch. You’ll be picked up at the Momella gate and taken to your accommodation in Arusha after arriving.
Happily, on this two-day climb, hikers have the option to continue the wildlife viewing drive inside the park after their descent until 5.30 pm for a small additional fee per person before returning to Arusha or Moshi. If this is an additional tour of yours, do let us know in advance so that the charges are included!
- Elevation: 2,500 m/8,202 ft. to 1,500 m/4,921 ft. (1,000m descent)
- Hiking distance: 10 km descent
- Hiking time: 2–3 hours ascent to the park gate
- Habitat: mountain (montane) forest
- Meals: breakfast, lunch
TOUR PACKAGE PRICE INCLUDE:
- Transfers to and from Momella Gate back to your hotel or lodge in Arusha
- All national park fees: entry fee, hut fee, rescue fee, and armed park ranger fee
- All national park fees for the crew—guides, porters, and a cook
- Certified, experienced, English-speaking guides
- Salaries for the guide(s), porters, and cook(s)
- All meals on the mountain: breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Filtered water throughout the trek
- Cooking equipment and eating utensils
- All government taxes, including 18% VAT
TOUR PACKAGE PRICE EXCLUDE:
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Visa fee
- Tips for mountain crew (guides, porters, and a cook)
- Laundry Services
- All items of a personal nature
THE TREKKING GEAR FOR A 2-DAY MOUNT MERU TREKKING CLIMB
- For the head: Sun Hat, Walking Pole (optional), Sunglasses, Sunscreen (SPF 25+), Lip Balm (SPF 25+)
- Clothes (no cotton): Wool or synthetic layer (1), wool or fleece sweater, wind- or water-proof jacket, convertible hiking pants, and water-proof pants
- For the Feet: Thin sock liners (1 pair), wool hiking socks (1 pair), Good-broken-in hiking boots or light boots, Gaiters (optional), Tennis shoes or sandals (for camp)
- For Sleeping: Zero-degree sleeping bag, inflatable pillow (optional)
- For Hiking: Day pack (no larger than 2,200 cu), water bladder (100 oz/3 ltr), rain cover for the pack
- Personal Items: Toiletries, A small first aid kit, a small towel, wet wipes, a camera, bug spray, malaria pills, a flashlight or torch, batteries, cash for tipping, etc.
Kindly get in touch with us to know the price for this tour and to make a booking. Either a private expedition or joining a group are options for this 2 days mount meru hiking tour. If you want to be a part of a group, send us your inquiry, and we’ll help you join a group. The same goes for those interested in a private tour!